Friday, August 22, 2008

What's in a Name?

The ever-expanding metropolis of Bowling Green, Kentucky (known to some as little California or little Texas ;) ) recently announced it will be getting its own single-A baseball team. True to form, the folks bringing baseball to Bowling Green are holding a "Name the Team" contest. It is interesting that most of the names have some local flavor, instead of name that just alliterates with Bowling Green. Here are the finalists:

Bowling Green Speedsters - for Bowling Green's automotive heritage, which is fair, but boring; you can already see the cartoon car with the "speed lines" for the mascot.

Bowling Green Hot Rods - for the local, historical Hot Rod race track and the annual Hot Rod festival held here. Makes me think of something nuclear or the old Transformers movie...

Bowling Green Bluegills - a tenth of a point deduction for the alliteration; "named for the multitude of local residents who fish for Bluegill"; isn't the plural of "bluegill" also "bluegill"? like "bass" or "jazz" or "fish"? I've never heard someone say "I'm fishing for bluegills" but I don't fish.

Bowling Green Turbos - again, the automotive link; meh. makes me think of NBA Live. Maybe when a "turbo" hits a homerun the public address announcer can say, "He's on fire!"

Bowling Green Sparkplugs - "celebrating the city's love of motorsports with a name that minor league baseball is known for"; Not bad. Will they be the "plugs" for short?

Bowling Green Mammoths - One of my favorites. This whole region of Kentucky is above Mammoth Cave, the world's largest cave system. Not sure how you would work a mascot around a cave, but I like it alot.

Bowling Green Cave Shrimp - far and away my favorite. The perfect name for a minor league baseball team that is equal parts local and hilarious. "Cave Shrimp" are endangered albino shrimp that are indigenous to Mammoth Cave.

Bring on the Cave Shrimp!!!

10 comments:

jeremiah said...

LOVE it...
how about the Bowling Green Geebees?
a la stayin alive?
they could then be the BG Geebees.f
OR
the Bowling Green BOOMTIMES.
a la the subtle NBA JAM reference (dont think you'd slip that past a brotha!)

real good seeing you yesterday with the fam.
much love.

Tony said...

Love the Cave Shrimp! But, aren't cave shrimp blind?

Like the Mammoths

Hate all the car references.

Bowling Green Twinkies or Cupcakes (Duncan Hines reference)

How bout Bowling Green Barrons (As in Barren river)

Bowling Green Highlanders (Hill reference)

I'll keep thinking.

Jason said...

I didn't even think about the whole "Duncan Hines" connection. How about "Bowling Green Whiskers" (as in a whisk) or "Bowling Green Eggbeaters"

Cave Shrimp are blind - they are albino, which could make for some interesting jersey combinations.

I love Bowling Green BeeGees. They could all come out to "Stayin' Alive"

The car references aren't doing it for me either. Highlanders isn't bad, actually.

Jennifer Coomer said...

I was very disappointed that the name I turned in wasn't put into the final round before the pubic. Spelunkers is way better than any of those.

Jennifer Coomer said...

After considering the Duncan Hines tie-in I came up with THE. best name for BG's baseball team. I really wish I had thought of this before & could have entered it into the official contest in time.

The Bowling Green Cake Batters.

Jason said...

Jennifer...dude..."Batters" as in Duncan Hines and baseball "batters"

oh my gosh! the logo could be a little chef guy, with a chef hat, swinging a egg whisker or a rolling pin or something - how AWESOME would that be??

Tony said...

Or it could be Bats as in cave bats

Jason said...

the great city of Louisville already has "Bats"

Louisville Bats / Louisville Sluggers...get it?

Jennifer Coomer said...

Cake Batters is so awesome I almost cry every time I think about it. And think of all that could have been.

Anonymous said...

I voted for the cave shrimp. I don't care if they are blind. The umpires are blind and they still get in the games.