Friday, August 8, 2008

Awe-Less

Watching the opening ceremonies of the Olympics, where according to Matt Lauer the Chinese have spent 300 million dollars on the production (but that's another post). Unfortunately, Matt Lauer and Bob Costas are unable to go three seconds without explaining to the audience what is happening or some pithy statistic about how many flags they Chinese have sold.

Why can't they trust the audience to appreciate and stand in awe of it for what it us rather than have everything explained to death? It is a tiny gripe, to be sure, but a statement on living in a world where beauty must be explained. And if beauty must be explained, is it really beauty?

1 comments:

Jennifer Coomer said...

Agreed. I didn't need them telling me how cool it was to see the Chinese guy running in the air with the torch. I got it. I got it all on my own.