Thursday, September 4, 2008

Proverbs 31 Woman


Dana is a proud feminist. This makes for fun discussions when we talk about gender roles. Inevitably, I throw back at her the old "Proverbs 31 Woman" and ask her how many fields she has purchased lately. She laughs (or gives me the Dana-face) and we move on.

As is often the case when you read scripture instead of just parroting what you've heard about it - I discovered that my beautiful bride is a Proverbs 31 woman. Although the hasn't bought any fields, she does not bring her food from afar (she is a "locavore"), and she makes line-item arguments instead of linen garments.

But step back into Proverbs 31 a bit more, and it fits Dana to an absolute "T" (or "D")

Proverbs 31: 8 - 9a

"Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves,
for the rights of all who are destitute
Speak up and judge fairly;
defend the rights of the poor and needy."


My beautiful wife...worth far more than rubies, diamonds, or Utah Jazz gear.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I am a very lucky woman to have such a loving husband who lavishes me with praise in public...and with kisses in private. ;)

And even luckier that my husband thinks of me throughout the day and calls just to hear my voice, writes poetic musings about his love, and shouts from the mountain tops how proud he is of me.

This particular feminist finds herself fulfilled in just being yours...your wife, the mother of your child and your homemaker. Because you make me feel so much bigger than those roles. And because of your continuous display of love for me, I feel like I am the most powerful woman in the world.

Kelly Efurd Lawson said...

You guys are great.

Eisley & I are crying over here (But she's crying for different reasons, I suspect)!

Love you both. You are beautiful.

Scott Douglas said...

JB,
Dana is certainly one unique woman, and you definitely married up :)

But so did Puckett and so will I, it is so humbling that God brought us women we do not deserve as a testimony to His providence. I am proud to have a P-31 woman as well, one who is so much more than words can describe, whose work ethic and determination have motivated me beyond what I would be willing to do, whose love and support have gotten me through many difficult times.

God created men and women different in so many ways, in a way that they complement one another as only the Divine could draw up, calling both of us in His image and precious equally in His sight.

The closer I get to my own marriage, the more I see how much it is like the relationship between Christ and the Church. And now I must stop writing, before I start crying.