Thursday, September 18, 2008

Jesus was a Youth Pastor

For Broadway Student University (think Sunday School, but more intense and more awesome), my students and I have been reading through the gospel of Matthew. After each Matthew-marinated feast, I gain a fuller appreciation for the gospel. Reading it slowly, and with an eye towards framing students' lives with it, has made it come alive in a special way. Specifically, I have discovered that Jesus was a youth pastor, who also dealt with parents.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Matthew 20:20-23

Then the mother of Zebedee's sons came to Jesus with her sons and, kneeling down, asked a favor of him. "What is it you want?" he asked.

She said, "Grant that one of these two sons of mine may sit at your right and the other at your left in your kingdom."

"You don't know what you are asking," Jesus said to them. "Can you drink the cup I am going to drink?"

"We can," they answered.

Jesus said to them, "You will indeed drink from my cup, but to sit at my right or left is not for me to grant. These places belong to those for whom they have been prepared by my Father."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And, like a God youth pastor, Jesus refers the suggestion to the senior pastor. ;)

3 comments:

tonyakers said...

Brilliant

Kelly Efurd Lawson said...

ha!

Scott Douglas said...

Good call on Matthew, I love that Gospel, such a full picture of Christ and His mission
You know He wasn't a Baptist because everything He wanted to do would have to be referred to a committee, haha.