Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Pillow Talk

My wife has an active imagination. Fortunately for me, her overactive imagination often freaks her out by leading her to outrageous scenarios that result in her impending death. For example, last night, while we were going to bed:

(Jason and Dana in bed, bedside table lamps on. Dana reading the first Harry Potter, Jason reading The Greatest Generation)

Jason: Okay, time for bed. (Turns off lamp, puts down book, gets comfortable)
Dana: OK, just let me get to the end. (with about 20-25 pages left)
Jason: You know what happens.
Dana: No, I don't. I intentionally forget.
Jason: Voldemort touches Harry and melts. Voldemort flies away. Quirrell dies.
(pause)
Dana: You ruined it for me! (puts book away, gets comfortable)
(pause)
(house creaks)
Dana: Jason, I'm scared! What if there is a homeless guy in our attic?
Jason: How would he get into the attic?
Dana: What if it's Voldemort coming to get us? I'm scared! I'm scared of Voldemort!
Jason: Voldemort died. And he's not real.
Dana: Put your leg over me so they kill you.
Jason: (unable to stop laughing)
Dana: Tell me a happy story so I can go to sleep....

Is this how other married people talk at night?

9 comments:

Carissa Martin said...

I laughed until I almost cried. Wow. Great retelling, Jason. And yes... that is definitely how we talk as we are falling asleep though our conversations usually go like this:
Scott: Time to go to sleep!
Me: Night, hunny.
Scott: zzzzzzzz
Me: Scott?
Scott: zzzzzzzz
Me: Scott! Wake up, I need to talk to you?! I heard a noise.
Scott: Huh? Oh, what? I didn't hear it... Just go back to sleep.
Me: But I was never asleep in the first place...
Scott: zzzzzzz

Kelly Efurd Lawson said...

This HILARIOUS, Jason!!! I couldn't stop laughing!!!

Louis Tagliaboschi said...

Great story man. Unfortunately, it's not really like that for us. She is an extreme night person, and I am an early morning person. I go to bed to the sounds of her computer making great and beautiful graphics and video, and she goes to bed to the sounds of my ungodly snoring... doesn't seem very fair for her, does it?

Tony said...

Yeah, this is pretty normal. We usually fight over who has to get up to turn off the lights.

It was pretty lame of you to tell her the ending.

I just finished re-reading HP #7! Great stuff.

Jason said...

she had already read it twice!!

Anonymous said...

Forget Harry Potter! I want to know if Dana ever finished my book, "Redeeming Love" and if so. . . why in the world has she not called me and told me that it was the most amazing book ever? Dana? I am waiting!

Jennifer Coomer said...

i just peed my pants a little.

and one of my favorite quotes from the past week: "i feel like i'm in bed with half the internet"
– jenny tagliaboschi, on being in bed with louis while he’s reading blogs on his laptop, with earbuds in.

Scott Douglas said...

That's hilarious man! Guess that's the kinds of things I get to look forward to in marriage huh?

Jason said...

well scott - that among other things ;)