Sunday, August 12, 2007

Confessions of a Bibliophile

There are things that are better than books. These things include, but are not limited to, having an incredible wife, being overwhelmed by the presence of an amazing God, belly laughs with best buds, a buzzer-beating three-pointer to send your team to the NBA Finals, and those heart-to-heart conversations that change everything after them.

Books are still good too.

There are three days that I go bonkers for each year. Christmas - you can't beat Jesus' birthday - my birthday - whatever I say goes! - and the day we get new books for class. I nearly wet my paints when I picked up Lasor, Hubbard, and Bush's Old Testament Survey and tripped over myself getting back to the apartment to read Ben Witherington's New Testament Theology.

All the wetness aside, my first love was literature. I wanted to teach literature to high school students. There is nothing like a book, and the genius of great writing - words that peel away the layers of life and get to what everyone else's brain is trying to get around. My favorites are on the right, here are some more (nonfiction) that I like.

the Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling (not sure that I'm sold on the 7th one though)
the Tell-Tale Heart by Edgar Allen Poe
The Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner
As I Lay Dying by William Faulkner
A Farewell to Arms by Ernest Hemingway
Hamlet by William Shakespeare
Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt

Don't hold out on me now - give me some good ones that you enjoy.

6 comments:

Jennifer Coomer said...

Angela's Ashes is one of my favs.

Jennifer Coomer said...

Crap. I hit the button too early.
Have you talked to my dad much? The two of you need to start a book club. I like to read. But I think my dad would do nothing but read if we'd let him.

Anonymous said...

if I could do nothing but read - I think I would do that.

maybe throw in some basketball for good measure

Tony said...

The Call of the Wild-Jack London. the first book that I truly every loved. I read it about every two years or so.

Anonymous said...

Gone with the Wind & Joy In the Morning. Great movies too!

Kelly Efurd Lawson said...

I really and truly loved The Scarlet Letter.