Thursday, July 5, 2007

Wesley witness with the wife

One of the reasons I was so attracted to Dana was her moxie; her general unwillingness to accept anything without searching it for herself to make sure that it is true and trustworthy. Sometimes this bites me in the butt - like when Dana searches to see if I actually cleaned or not - but is a tremendous blessing to banter theology with my wife.

My intensive class on the theology of John Wesley sparked a recent conversation with the Awesome Lawsons (who always live up to their name) regarding Christian perfection (full-on orientation of love towards God and neighbor) and John Wesley the husband. More specifically, Dana, while acknowedging the contributions of John Wesley to theological thought, dismissed a great deal of John Wesley because he was a horrible husband. While I am not an expert on Wesley, the biography I am reading confirms Wesley abandoned and neglected his wife under the banner of ministry. For Dana, Wesley's treatment of his wife was a dealbreaker.

Realizing this is a Cliffs notes version of Wesleyan perfection and the dynamic between Wesley and his wife, I am curious as to what you faithful readers (both of you!) think. Does Wesley ruin his witness by neglecting his wife? While Wesley never claimed to reach Christian perfection, does his horrible relationship with his wife undercut him? (It is worth noting that John Wesley, at least to my knowledge, never repented of his treatment of his wife)

Very curious to hear your thoughts.

4 comments:

Brandon said...

While I do not support how Wesley choose to basically banish his wife in to the exile of loneliness I don't know that you can theologically say that his witness was lost completely because of this. Here is why....do you drink caffeine? If so you could be seen as not "taking care of the temple that God blessed you with". Now this is extreme polar opposite or so we would think but in Wesley's time the treatment of his wife was not out of the norm. As a matter of fact it was probably as normal then as caffine is to drink now. Does drinking caffine affect our witness. NOt at this time but maybe one day when it is looked back on it will. I however was not a big fan of alot of the theology of Wesley which I think is much more damaging to his witness than his treatment of his wife. He was a good teacher and a man seeking God's own heart with out a doubt but I do think he missed the mark in a few places.

Carissa Martin said...

I'm with Dana.

Anonymous said...

Okay Jason Brown... you already know what I think about this. RIGHT ON, DANA:)

I also somewhat disagree with the first comment posted. In regards to Wesley's treatment of his wife being more accepted "back in the day", it was still strictly against the teaching of scripture, which Wesley obviously was familiar with. Therefore, I hold him fully responsible. However, I am not one to offer as much attention to someone like Wesley as I am my own pastor. I will say, that if I thought that he ever treated his wife in anything but a loving and tender manner, I would give NO CREDIT to anything that came from the pulpit.

In the Akers house, we have a motto that I remind my husband of often... We will never sacrifice our famiy on the alter of ministry.
That is easier said than done sometimes, but of UPMOST importance.

Love you guys...
Debbi

Tony said...

Wesley like all of us had his faults. He stunk as a husband and also as a Father (No one had mentioned that part yet). He was probably egocentric and driven like most of the guys I know in ministry. Does it discredit his message? Only if you focus soley on the man. If you see Wesley's life as evidence of God's presence in the life and ministry of an individual, then you can appreciate what God did while the man remained faulty. Kind of like the scacraments...Do you discredit the baptisms at a church because you find out later that the Pastor embezzled funds from the same church and was fired? No. The grace acknowledged and received through baptism was God's action. All protestantism can be thankful for what Wesley brought to the table without idolizing every aspect of his life. We don't have to stink as Husbands and Wives and as parent and we can still do ministry. Ain't that great!? But, be careful of thinking that only those who have it all together can be of use by God. God uses broken and sinful people to do great things all the time...after all what other choice does he have?