Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Just like old times...


There are very few things in this world that make me wet my pants. If the Jazz win the NBA championship in my lifetime - bring on the Depends. If I am not out on the floor when my baby pops out, that splash (and whimper) you just heard was me. Not that the experience I had today would equal those things - but the combination of old school toys and cutting edge graphics nearly made me go wee.

Transformers the movie (and that cool sound effect that you made over and over again when you were playing with Transformers) is a visual feast. While the plot will not come close to changing your life or making you think, the robots are simply stunning. There are a fair amount of laugh out loud moments but the real point of the movie is finding an excuse to get the robots to go at it. This movie will not change your life - but as far as big explosions and ridiculous eye-candy (of the 80s toy variety) it can't be beat.

A few more thoughts (no major spoilers, but maybe a little)

First the good,

- Optimus Prime is sweet.
- Maybe the best air battle scene I have ever seen at the end.
- Bumblebee's interaction with Shia Lebouf (what kind of name is that?) is hilarious


and the bad

- my favorite guy wasn't in it (Soundwave if you're keeping score)
- the Autobots (good guys) are cars while the Decepticons (bad guys) are planes, radios, helicopters, and other cool stuff - Autobots got the short end of the stick dude
- the Autobots are good guys - but they are guilty of some ridiculous product placement, right down to the "GMC" on the grill of the Hummer
- sometimes you were so close to the battles, you couldn't see what was really happening


all in all - you should see it. you should DEFINITELY see it if you played with the toys.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved the movie too! The 'bots and graphics were AMAZING! Totally agree with ya. =]