Thursday, May 10, 2007

I have a new hero...


When I started this blog, I promised I would limit the amount of Utah Jazz action on it - lest I look like a complete whacko. But what happened last night absolutely cannot be poo-pooed. Derek Fisher, a backup point guard and sometimes starting shooting guard who missed game one of the semifinal series because of an undisclosed personal problem, returns to the lineup and saves the Jazz. Fisher's daughter, who is less than a year old, underwent a combination of surgery and chemotherapy in New York yesterday morning for retinal blastoma, a rare form of cancer with a high mortality rate. After the early morning surgery and five hours of recovery, Fisher flies back to Utah, arrives at the arena late in the 3rd quarter, immediately changes into his uniform and literally goes from the locker room into the game. The reaction of the players and the fans is overwhelming BEFORE Fisher causes an important turnover and then drains a big three point shot in overtime to push the Jazz past the Warriors.

After the game, choking back tears, Fisher reveals his daughter's illness and gives the rest of us words to live by: "This is unbelievable. God is so good....Loyalty is always with my family and my faith first."

The reality is Fisher's greatness was already established long before he became the difference maker in this game -when Fisher decided to sit game one out and miss most of game two to be with his family. It takes a special man to, in the midst of pressure to perform and produce, quietly and firmly choose to embrace ones primary role of husband and father over starter for the in-the-thick-of-the-playoffs Utah Jazz.

Mr. Fisher, you are the man. Not because of your forced turnover or your three, or even the way your presence rallied the team, but because of the choice you made to put your family and your faith first. Here's to hoping I learn from you.

6 comments:

Kelly Efurd Lawson said...

I know! I started tearing up when I saw that interview!

Jason said...

How could you not? It was incredible!! It's one of those stories that remind you why you love sports - because sometimes the drama is over and above a 10 lb leather ball and a ten foot hoop.

Tony said...

in·teg·ri·ty (ĭn-těg'rĭ-tē) Pronunciation Key
n.
Steadfast adherence to a strict moral or ethical code.
The state of being unimpaired; soundness.
The quality or condition of being whole or undivided; completeness.

Here's to Fisher and prayers for his daughter!

jeremiah said...

Dear Mr. Fisher,

Cant way to hoop with you in heaven. Pick me and Jason up when we run threes. We would be unbeatable. Thanks for showing us what it is like to remain faithful when it is much easier not to. Hope your daughter is doing awesome.

PS - dont judge Jason for thinking that a regulation ball weighs 10 pounds. he doesnt know any better...he's from KY.

Signed,
j.

Tony said...

I need more cowbell.

Dude, update.

tony

Jason said...

I use a 10 lb. ball - that's how I got these huge guns. plus, it makes the net swish more :)

I need an update too - but I've got some finals that are putting the slack in my mac. Check back on Thursday yo!