Tuesday, September 22, 2009

A Father's Confessions


After my boy goes to sleep, there is a void in my house and heart. There are no heavy feet "hopping", no fat cheeks to kiss, no little stout torso to tackle you when you aren't looking, and no sweet voice calling out a favorite Thomas the Tank Engine (Toby, which sounds more like "Oby!").

Sometimes, the hole in my heart is too much, so I tiptoe around the "choo-choos", put my chin on his crib, and gaze at my no-longer-baby boy. He lays there with stretched-neck under-stuffed kitty in one hand, Toby in the other, blanket ("hanket"), stuffed basketball ("beebaw!"), and Elmo ("Melmo") all kicked to the side.

I wonder how often my Father tiptoes around my toys and puts his chin on the side of my bed?

In about ten hours, we will be awakened by some combination of "My Mommy!" "My Daddy!" "Out!" and "Poo Poo!" I will go to him, place my hands under his outstretched arms and say, "Good Morning, my son."

6 comments:

Kelly Lawson said...

beautiful, Jason.

Jennifer Coomer said...

Sweet. Sweet, sweet, sweet. So sweet. And I love that photo.

Anonymous said...

That is so sweet. I love it.

Anonymous said...

So amazingly written and SO true. We say we miss Annabella about 10 minutes after she is in bed almost every night. You are a great Dad!


Lindsay Aja

Tony said...

It goes by fast bro. Sounds like you already know that though...

Scott Douglas said...

I read your posts and it makes me really want a baby! Thanks for sharing these beautiful pictures of being a parent