Thursday, January 3, 2008

Traveling Tales - or - First Big Family Trip

One hundred percent of the people that I have told that Dana and I took a six week old on an airplane to California for ten days have given me the same "I-can't-believe-you-did-that-you-foolish/brave-people." It was an interesting journey, here's some quick hit thoughts.

- Airplane bathrooms are not nearly as tiny as I had expected. I had never been in one prior to the diaper-changing dallies. One occasion, Stockton took aim and let fly (#2) sans diaper, and I was forced to use the clean diaper to cover him....and me. This would have been ok had I brought more than one diaper....but the stewardess was nice enough to go get another diaper from the hottie in 16F.

- I only got one "how old are you?" Maybe I should make a shirt with my driver's license?

- When I become an old man, I want to be an old man that wears hats. And ties. No matter what I'm doing. And a pipe.

- In Dallas, during a fast diaper change (the flight was LEAVING SOON), I lost the cap to the travel backside lotion. I discovered the aforementioned cap after we landed in Louisville. In my baby's diaper....

- Stockton caught a little bit of a cold on the way to Cali but is over it for the most part now. Thanks for the prayers and the well-wishes.

- Stockton was wide awake to ring in the New Year...but he seems to want to watch the ball drop EVERY night.

- (The third sentence in a row that starts with "Stockton") Stockton is starting to smile now. It is the sweetest little smile you have ever seen.

My new year's resolution - to not play video games quite as much :)

9 comments:

jeremiah said...

GREAT recap - love the old man in hats and ties with a pipe.

Those 2 new games will ruin the resolution REAL quick like, no question.

Lookalike game in DFW was pretty unforgettable for me though...did Lamech ever catch his flight?

Kelly Efurd Lawson said...

I hate to be the voice of doom. But I'm pretty sure you won't be sticking to that New Year's Resolution.

Anonymous said...

We took our daughter on a plane trip to AZ when she was 4 months old. We did the diaper changes on my lap or the seat beside us. I don't know if we assumed the bathroom was too small or just didn't think about it. Oh well.

Jennifer Coomer said...

I say you are brave and fearless for flying with a newborn!

Now I, too, want to wear hats when I'm an old man. Wait ...

This made me chuckle some funny kind of chuckle: In Dallas, during a fast diaper change (the flight was LEAVING SOON), I lost the cap to the travel backside lotion. I discovered the aforementioned cap after we landed in Louisville. In my baby's diaper....

Jason said...

I'm not sure if Lamech ever caught his flight :)

I think I was too afraid to change his diaper in my lap. He has a habit of making the magic happen before I'm ready to really capture it.

Tony said...

You are funny. Who asked you how old you were?

Jason said...

one of the stewardesses :)

Kelly Efurd Lawson said...

One time I was flying by myself (for work!) and sitting in an exit row. A steward came up and asked me to move because he said I wasn't old enough to sit in the exit row (you have to be 15). I explained to him that I was 23 years old and certainly old enough to sit in an exit row. He was embarrassed.

Jason said...

Kelly - are you serious??

HA! Did you get something free out of it?