Monday, January 4, 2010

Perfect 10

“The Nils”, “The Aughts”, or the Two-Thousand-Zero-Zeroes. The beginning of the decade found me at a low-key gathering with high school friends, trying to determine whether to simply take someone’s keys or trust their promise not to drive. The end found me curled under the comforter with a pregnant-with-baby-number-two wife. The single digits started with seven friends trying to squeeze the magic out of six more months and ended with a completely different kind of magic sleeping in the adjoining room (and kicking in the womb.

The Nils were more concrete slab than jungle gym – setting the foundation for (without hyperbole I think) the rest of my life. The double-O’s contained not just college and seminary, but wife and child(ren); not just bachelors, but masters; not just job, but calling; not just status quo but status whoa (ladies and gentlemen, the lamest pun in history).

Looking back, the decade is a dunk-from-the-free-throw-line ten. Observe the same massive leap in pictures.


Then:


Now:

2 comments:

Kelly Lawson said...

Every post you write, it seems, is fantastic! While I wish you blogged more often, I enjoy what we get.

KL

Jason said...

LOL - I wish I blogged more often, but I have a franchise to run on Madden...

Thanks though :)