Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Rights and Responsibilities

Does anyone have difficulty asserting ones rights? This election cycle, both local and nationwide, seems to have people from all edges of the political spectrum screaming about their rights, both real and perceived. The right to kill lung cells while enjoying ribs at BW3s, the right to abort an unborn child, the right to charge exorbitant rates for inadequate housing, and the right to pay as little taxes as possible.

I want to flip the switch. Rather than thinking about life in terms of "rights", let's think about it in terms of responsibilities. What is my responsibility to my fellow human being? My Creator and Redeemer? The next generation? My wife? My child? The students and families that I minister to? The earth?

I can fill up this tiny space with the rhythm of responsibility that hums and beats throughout my life - but I would prefer to recast the whole political system in terms of responsibilities. What responsibility do the local and national candidates have? And more importantly, how do they see themselves fulfilling this responsibility?

what do you think?

0 comments: