Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Baby Stepping Back In

I have not kicked the bucket...though I have thrown up, spit, and hawked (as in loogies, not birds) into one. I get sick once about every five years - but one illness for each of the past five years put me on my backside for the majority of the past three weeks. A nasty stomach-afraid-to-move-because-i-am-gonna-throw-up virus shut it down for a week. A week later, a large cat (the doctor called it bacterial pneumonia) took up residence in my chest for another eight days. In-between was an awesome six days of confirmation experience that I will tell you about another time. Here, now, is the death toll from the dirty double dozen of days.

- 11 days of work missed
- 16 days sleeping alone on the couch or quarantined in the bedroom
- 7 I'm-not-gonna-make-it Exorcist style projectile flinging
- 2 pairs of paints ruined
- 3 Sunday youth groups shortened, canceled, or modified
- 1 crucifix clutched around the clock
- 72 hours of shortness of breath...laying on the couch
- 4 bottles of medicine sitting on the nightstand next to me at any given time...with crackers
- 19.7 percent of Stockton's life...missed due to illness (3 weeks of 16 total weeks)
- 102.5 degrees; the highest fever I have ever had in my life
- 1 three-week message series completely scrapped

So, I think I'm back. I think I'm better. But I don't want to jinx it.

5 comments:

jeremiah said...

This is me hugging you back into existence like a southern grandma on Fourth of July.
Missed ya bro, welcome back!

Louis Tagliaboschi said...

I for one am really glad you are back among the living.

Kelly Efurd Lawson said...

WOW! Well we've missed you... and we're so glad you're alive!!! This sounds SUPER INTENSE!!!

Jennifer Coomer said...

I'm glad you are better! Sounds like it got rough there for awhile. But at least you made it to Confirmation Sunday!

Jennifer Coomer said...

I'm glad you are better! Sounds like it got rough there for awhile. But at least you made it to Confirmation Sunday!